Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Favorite Things

Here's a box Siara made for me one Christmas. The first Christmas she was home her freshman year at BYU. This is a treasure because, first of all, she made it.
But also because it has adorable pictures of her when she was a baby and then a teenager...matched up with pictures of me at those stages.


Inside is a picture of me holding her just a few minutes after she was born.




I couldn't stand to have it packed away in long-term storage with our furniture and belongings that don't fit in the cabin. So I brought it along. I keep it on the mantle behind the woodstove in our bedroom. A little reminder of a sweet daughter.
Inside and all around it, she put sayings about moms:
"A mother is a person who seeing there are only four pieces of pie for five people, promptly announces she never did care for pie." Tennera Jordan
"A mother is not a person to lean on, but a person to make leaning unneccessary."
Dorothy Canfield Fisher
"A mother is she who can take the place of all others but whose place no one else can take." Cardinal Mermillod
"All that I am or ever hope to be, I owe to my angel mother." Abraham Lincoln
"Of all the rights of women,the greatest is to be a mother." Lin Yutang
"The mother loves her child most divinely, not when she surrounds him with comfort and anticipates his wants, but when she resolutely holds him to the highest standards and is content with nothing less than his best." Hamilton Wright Mabie
"God could not be everywhere and therefore he made mothers." Jewish Proverb
"Children and mothers never truly part-bound in the beating of each other's hearts."
Charlotte Gray
"Mothers have as powerful an influence over the welfare of future generations as all other earthly causes combined." John S.C. Abbott

No comments:

Happy Birthday Scott!

 It has been awhile since I updated this little family scrapbook on the internet. I like to pop over here from time to time and look at our ...