Friday, October 24, 2008

Having My Cake and Eating it Too

Back (wayyyyyyyy back) when I was pregnant with Scott, we lived in a tiny little house that had once been a chicken coop. Dad was working part-time and finishing up at BYU in accounting and finance and I was working as an accounts receivable clerk for Bradshaw Auto Parts in Provo. I pretty much just worked and slept as Scott was draining me of all energy -- he was developing a body that would eventually top out at 6' 5". I did have to take time to eat though, and because of our tight budget, we ate a lot of Top Ramen. But from time to time I would do a little baking to liven up our dreary diet. So, one day I had a craving for Oatmeal Cake. An old family recipe that filled the little cottage with a delicious aroma of vanilla and spice. Andy was on campus and I figured we would have it for dessert after dinner. But I couldn't resist one piece while it was warm. Then just one more. One more. And one more. Soon, half the cake was gone! How embarassing! I couldn't have Andy thinking I was a glutton...what to do, what to do. The perfect solution? Eat the other half of the cake. Then wash the pan and put it away. And open the windows and air out the house.

I made the mistake of telling this story to the youngsters--now they bring it up whenever we make oatmeal cake for family night treat. Really, I only did that the one time--though I could still eat a whole oatmeal cake. Luckily, now I have plenty of people around to share it with.



Here is the recipe for Oatmeal Cake: (I suggest making it when other people are around so you won't be tempted to eat the whole thing yourself)


1 stick butter (1/2 C.)

1 cup oatmeal

1 1/4 cups boiling water

Pour the boiling water over the butter and oatmeal, stir, cover and let stand for 20 minutes.

Add:
1 C. white sugar
1 C. brown sugar
1 1/2 C. sifted flour
1 tsp. soda
2 tsp. cinnamon
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla

Mix well and pour into 9X11 baking pan. Bake @ 350 for 30-35 minutes.

Topping:

2 tablespoons butter

1/4 C. evaporated milk

1/2 C. sugar

1/2 C. coconut

1/2 tsp. vanilla

1/2 C. chopped nuts (walnuts are good)

Mix and spread over cake while it is hot. Then eat just one piece. If you can.

1 comment:

Shanna said...

I am SOOO glad you finally wrote this story from your perspective! I try and tell it, but it never quite does it justice. You needed to eat an entire cake though, you scrawny little lady! I'm making this today to share for a Sunday treat. =)

Happy Birthday Scott!

 It has been awhile since I updated this little family scrapbook on the internet. I like to pop over here from time to time and look at our ...