Saturday, November 15, 2008

Somebody Call the Fun Police

Here at the
Gale Academy of Classical Education
we take education very seriously...most of the time. Yesterday, while Sam was immersed in algebra, I was helping Shane memorize the 5o states and capitals. He was writing up a study guide and we were both reading information about each state as he wrote down the capitals for them. If you're ever looking for some entertainment, look up the mottoes for our Nifty, Fifty, United States (a shout-out to my little sister Julienne for teaching me that song on our looooong bus rides to and from Zuni High School--I can still rattle off all 50 states to the tune of that silly song!).
Let me just share a few of them with you here...
I'll start with the straightforward, more meaningful ones--these I would consider a MOTTO:
Delaware's is..."Liberty and Independence" --succinct, to the point.
Kentucky: "United We Stand, Divided We Fall"--we can all relate to that
New Hampshire: "Live Free or Die"--Don't mess with these people
Some are a little obtuse:
Maine: "I Direct" --really, who are you and what do you direct?
Kansas: "To the Stars Through Difficulties"--in a galaxy far, far away
Michigan: Let's see it in Latin first "Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice (Scary Spice's cousin I believe)" Interpreted:
"If you seek a pleasant peninsula, look about you-- Why yes, I do seek a pleasant peninsula.
These were put together by committee:
North Dakota: "Liberty and Union, Now and Forever,One and Inseperable"
South Carolina... Latin first... "Animis opibusque parati" and" Dum Spiro Spero" or in other words: "Prepared in Mind and Resources" and "While I Breathe, I Hope"
These states got it with just ONE word:
Texas: "Friendship"...I thought it was 'Don't Mess With Texas'
Utah: "Industry" yeah, get to work
Wisconsin: "Forward" turn around!
Rhode Island: "Hope" ask South Carolina about breathing while you hope
South Dakota: "Rule" Do they mean they have just one rule or are they the boss of the rest of us?
Some sound a bit threatening:
Virginia: "Thus Ever to Tyrants" that means YOU King George
West Virginia: "Mountaineers Are Always Free" you can't hold us down--we'll go climb a mountain!
And now for the finale:
New Mexico: "It grows at it goes" what is it..a fungus?
Connecticut: "He who transplanted still sustains" so many possibilities...
Rolling on the floor laughing encore:
Maryland: "Fatti maschii, parole femine" funny in any language.
"Manly deeds, womanly words"
the boys spent the rest of the afternoon acting this out dramatically and loudly

No comments:

Happy Birthday Scott!

 It has been awhile since I updated this little family scrapbook on the internet. I like to pop over here from time to time and look at our ...