Friday, October 3, 2008

My Heart Weeps for Them

I've mentioned before that Shayla and Seth take a few classes at the local high school. I pick them up each day at noon and bring them home for history and science. Today I started my day earlier than usual because I substituted in seminary (LOVED it!) Then we went to the temple. It was a really nice beginning for my day and also a nice kick-off for General Conference this week-end. Today was "Color Wars" at the high school because tonight is the big Homecoming game. Shayla and Seth spent a lot of time making t-shirts with the Camas logo on them and putting together outfits to wear in their class colors. Seemed like good wholesome fun--school spirit and all that. So I pulled up to the high school and had to wait quite awhile because they wanted to stay for the Homecoming assembly. I had a book to read so I didn't mind.

School got out and the doors opened and out came the sweet young ladies of our community, dressed like street-walkers--tramps--trollops--strumpets. I readily admit that by the world's standards I am a little extreme in the modesty department. I understand that there are different ideas of what is acceptable. The school district has a dress standard that is clearly outlined on posters all over the school with a picture showing the "NO BARE ZONE". It allows for shorts about mid-thigh and wide straps for sleeves. Underwear is supposed to be covered. It's a reasonable requirement to keep young minds focused on learning all of their subjects--not just anatomy.

Well, I guess all rules are out for Homecoming! "Color Wars"--how 'bout "Color Whores"!-- there were girls with thigh-high fishnets and 5" heels, short-shorts, spaghetti strap tank tops. Skin-tight leggings with a tight, low-cut blouse (no shorts or skirt). As the first few came tottering out on their high-heels, I thought it would be the exception, but as the crowd increased, I saw that it was standard uniform for all grades. I saw slutty red outfits, skanky black outfits and nasty white outfits. More cleavage than a Victoria's Secret commercial. It was such a bizarre display of young girls acting like they had nothing to offer except their bodies.

My first thought was: THIS IS WHAT MY SON WAS EXPOSED TO ALL DAY!?

My next thought was: This makes my heart hurt. These are girls who don't understand their real value...who don't know that their body is a precious gift from a loving Heavenly Father. Don't they have something of worth to add to our world? Something of real substance to give? Do their mothers know they are dressed like this? Do their fathers? Sad.

1 Corinthians 6:19 "What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?"

No comments:

Happy Birthday Scott!

 It has been awhile since I updated this little family scrapbook on the internet. I like to pop over here from time to time and look at our ...