Then, we were awakened early Sunday morning by a loud popping noise. I jumped out of bed and looked out the balcony doors and saw sparks shooting up into the night sky. About the same time I realized our power was out. The sparks were coming from across the river and across the road over there: A large tree had been blown over onto the power lines and snapped a power pole. Cars were coming toward the tree barrier at normal speeds and had to slam on the brakes. I picked up the phone and dialed 911. The phone I used didn't work because the base requires electricity--but the 911 operator called us back almost immediately! Dad explained the situation and soon we heard sirens. As the day wore on we saw a whole fleet of P.U.D. trucks over there working on the problem.
They cut up the tree that fell across the road, they put up a new power pole and carefully put all the wires back in place and provided a morning's viewing entertainment in the process. Luckily, they got the power back on in time for us to get showered before church. I think our ward members love us but it would have been asking a lot for them to tolerate us in our unwashed state.