Thursday, January 28, 2010

What's That Fer?

Cat fur--to make a pair of kitten britches.
Wanna buy a pair?

Did your mom ever say that to you--when you were innocently inquiring about a new contraption or tool or whatnot?  How about "It won't be noticed from a trotting horse." or "It'll be well before you're married." "She was telling him how the cow ate the cabbage!"

I find myself tossing out these odd little sayings --many are common and part of our shared culture--others that came from the more peculiar culture of my family. "Don't cut off your nose to spite your face"  or "Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater." always get me a baffled stare from the youngsters as they run the image through their minds.

Once when advising a child: "You'll attract more flies with honey than with vinegar." I got this answer: "Ewww I don't want to attract ANY flies!" Good point.

My Grandma used to say this little gem from the Roaring Twenties: 
"Well, isn't that the bee's knees!"
and my kids love to say that now--it always gets a laugh.



The other day I was having a discussion with Shayla about the importance of her studies and education in her life--maybe it was more of a one-sided discussion--ok-- a lecture. After my welcome and insightful motherly advice, I asked her what she is interested in and how she planned to reach her educational goals. We discussed some options and then I said
"Well, there's more than one way to skin a cat." 
 Her reply: "Now there's something I'd actually like to learn to do; and if there is more than one way I would like to learn them all." So, she found her calling: taxidermy.  She can use any extra fur to make kitten britches--or even cat's pajamas.

No comments:

Happy Birthday Scott!

 It has been awhile since I updated this little family scrapbook on the internet. I like to pop over here from time to time and look at our ...